Why Street Cats Fascinate Me
Most cats here have owners or are cared for by animal shelters, which is something I am incredibly grateful for. Because of that, many people in the Netherlands don't often witness what life is like for stray animals in other parts of the world.
I travel abroad quite regularly, and over the past few years I have spent a lot of time in Morocco. That's where I truly began to realize how different life can be for animals.
In Morocco, I see street cats almost everywhere.
They're in small villages, busy cities, markets, quiet streets, and even outside restaurants. Some are thin, some are scared, some are playful, and some are simply trying to make it through another day.
Every time I visit, they immediately catch my attention.
While many people walk past them, I always stop.
I look at them, talk to them, stroke them, cuddle them, and whenever I can, I feed them.
People often tell me that I shouldn't touch street cats because they could carry diseases.
Maybe they're right.
I understand that there can be health risks, and I don't ignore that advice. But whenever I look into the eyes of a frightened or lonely cat, my heart takes over. I simply can't walk away without showing a little kindness. Sometimes a gentle cuddle, a soft stroke, and a little food can completely change that animal's day.
Street cats have taught me something very special.
Every single one has a different personality.
Some confidently walk straight towards me as if we've known each other for years.
Others keep their distance and carefully watch every movement I make.
Some want nothing more than a cuddle, while others only feel safe enough to accept a little food before quietly disappearing again.
Watching those different personalities is one of the reasons they fascinate me so much.
But what amazes me even more is their incredible strength.
Every single day they have to search for food and water.
They have to find somewhere safe to sleep.
They have to avoid traffic, danger, illness, and people who don't always treat them kindly.
Despite all of that, they continue fighting to survive.
That resilience inspires me.
It also breaks my heart.
No animal should have to struggle every day just to find its next meal.
Whenever I have the opportunity, I always buy food for them.
Seeing them enjoy a simple meal fills me with happiness because I know that, even if it's only for one moment, life became a little easier for them.
My love for animals doesn't stop there.
Over the years I have adopted both dogs and cats because I believe every animal deserves a second chance.
Giving an animal a safe home is one of the most rewarding experiences imaginable.
Watching a frightened animal slowly learning to trust again is something I will never stop loving.
It reminds me that patience, kindness, and love can completely change a life.
One thing I wish more people understood is that animals have feelings too.
They feel hunger.
They feel fear.
They feel loneliness.
They feel pain.
But they also feel love, safety, happiness, and comfort.
They may not speak our language, but they communicate through their eyes, their body language, and the trust they slowly begin to show.
That is why I believe every animal deserves respect, no matter where it lives.
Whether it's a family pet, a farm animal, or a street cat searching for food, every life matters.
I hope this article encourages people to become more aware of animal suffering.
Feed a hungry animal if you can.
Support an animal shelter.
Adopt instead of buying whenever possible.
Show kindness whenever you have the opportunity.
Small actions can change an animal's entire day—and sometimes even its entire life.
Street cats have taught me about resilience, hope, unconditional love, and gratitude.
Every time I visit Morocco, they remind me how lucky many of our pets are and how much work there is still to do to improve the lives of stray animals around the world.
I truly hope that one day every animal can experience what they deserve most: a full belly, a safe place to sleep, and someone who loves them.
Because in the end, animals don't ask for much.
Just kindness.
And I believe every single one of them deserves it.
Love, Shavida

Comments
Post a Comment