What Working Early Shifts Has Taught Me
Working early shifts has changed me in more ways than I ever expected.
When I first started working early mornings, I mainly focused on one thing: how difficult it would be to wake up before sunrise. I wondered if I would ever get used to hearing my alarm clock while the rest of the world was still asleep.
The truth is, some mornings are still difficult.
There are days when my bed feels warmer than ever, when it's dark outside, and when staying under the blankets for another hour sounds incredibly tempting.
But then I remind myself why I chose this path.
As soon as I get out of bed, get dressed, and step outside into the fresh morning air, something changes.
The world feels completely different.
There is a peacefulness that only exists during those early hours.
The streets are almost empty.
There is hardly any traffic.
The air feels cooler and fresher.
Everything is calm, quiet, and unhurried.
Sometimes I watch the sky slowly change from darkness to beautiful shades of orange, pink, and blue as the sun begins to rise.
Those moments remind me that every single day is a brand-new beginning.
No matter what happened yesterday, today offers another opportunity to learn, improve, and move one step closer to the life I'm creating.
One of the biggest lessons working early shifts has taught me is discipline.
Discipline isn't about feeling motivated every day.
It's about doing what needs to be done, even when you don't feel like it.
There are mornings when I'm tired.
There are mornings when I would rather stay in bed.
But responsibilities don't wait until you feel ready.
You simply get up and keep going.
Over time, I discovered that discipline slowly becomes a habit.
The more often you choose action over excuses, the easier it becomes.
I've also learned that successful mornings actually begin the night before.
People often think the hardest part of an early shift is waking up, but I believe preparation makes the biggest difference.
Going to bed at a reasonable time.
Preparing my clothes.
Packing everything I need.
Thinking about what I'll eat the next morning.
Making sure I don't have to rush.
These simple habits have reduced so much unnecessary stress.
Instead of waking up in panic, I can focus on starting the day calmly.
That alone has made my mornings much more enjoyable.
Working early has also completely changed the way I think about time.
Before, I often felt like the day disappeared before I had a chance to do anything for myself.
Now it's different.
One of my favourite parts about finishing work early is knowing that I still have a large part of the day ahead of me.
While many people are only just beginning their afternoon or are still sitting at work, I already have time to focus on myself.
Some days I go to the gym.
Other days I take a long walk.
Sometimes I spend hours cooking healthy meals that I genuinely enjoy.
Other afternoons I work on my blog, write new ideas, or simply relax with a good cup of coffee.
That balance between work and personal life has become incredibly valuable to me.
It reminds me that life shouldn't only be about working.
We also need time to grow, to rest, to enjoy our hobbies, and to invest in ourselves.
Another lesson I've learned is that every job becomes easier when people work together.
Early shifts require teamwork.
Everyone has an important role.
The first hours of the day often determine how smoothly everything else will run.
When everyone communicates well, helps each other, and stays positive, even the busiest mornings become manageable.
I've seen how one encouraging colleague can completely change the atmosphere of a workplace.
A simple "Good morning" or offering to help someone for a few minutes can make more difference than people realise.
Teamwork isn't only about finishing tasks faster.
It's about supporting one another, especially on busy days.
Working with different people has also taught me something else.
Every person approaches work differently.
Some people are naturally organised.
Others are incredibly calm under pressure.
Some have years of experience.
Others bring fresh ideas.
By observing the people around me, I've realised that you can learn something from almost everyone if you're willing to pay attention.
Not every lesson comes from a manager or a training course.
Sometimes it comes from simply watching how someone solves a problem or handles a difficult situation.
Early shifts have also helped me appreciate routines.
Many people think routines are boring.
I used to think that too.
But now I understand that routines actually create freedom.
When healthy habits become automatic, you spend less energy making decisions.
You already know what needs to be done.
That leaves more mental space for creativity, learning, and enjoying life.
Another unexpected lesson has been learning to appreciate the small things.
When you start your day before sunrise, you begin noticing things that many people sleep through.
The first birds singing.
The fresh smell after a rainy night.
The quiet roads.
The changing colours of the sky.
The first rays of sunlight appearing above the horizon.
These may seem like small details, but they've taught me to slow down and appreciate simple moments.
Life isn't only about reaching big goals.
It's also about noticing the beauty hidden in ordinary days.
Of course, early shifts aren't always enjoyable.
Winter mornings can feel incredibly dark.
Some days it's raining heavily before I've even left the house.
Sometimes I'm already tired before my shift has even started.
There are mornings when everything seems to go wrong.
But those difficult days have taught me resilience.
They remind me that we don't grow during the easy moments.
We grow when we continue despite the challenges.
Every difficult morning I've pushed through has made me mentally stronger.
Instead of seeing obstacles as reasons to quit, I've started seeing them as opportunities to become more resilient.
Another thing I've realised is how much early shifts have improved my time management.
When you wake up early every day, you quickly learn that every minute matters.
You become more aware of how you spend your time.
You stop procrastinating as much because you know preparation makes tomorrow easier.
I've become much more organised than I used to be.
Planning my day has become second nature.
Whether it's preparing meals, scheduling workouts, writing blog posts, or simply making time to relax, I've learned that planning creates peace of mind.
Perhaps one of the biggest gifts these early mornings have given me is perspective.
When you're awake while most people are still sleeping, you have time to think.
There are no constant notifications.
No endless distractions.
Just quiet moments where you can reflect on your goals, your dreams, and the direction your life is taking.
Those peaceful moments have become some of my favourite parts of the day.
They remind me why I work hard.
They remind me of the future I'm building.
They remind me that every small effort matters.
Looking back, I realise that working early shifts has given me so much more than just a paycheck.
It has taught me discipline.
Responsibility.
Consistency.
Time management.
Gratitude.
Resilience.
Teamwork.
And perhaps most importantly, it has taught me that success is often built through small daily habits rather than one big moment.
Every early alarm.
Every sunrise.
Every busy morning.
Every challenge I've overcome has quietly shaped the person I'm becoming.
Do I still enjoy waking up before sunrise every single day?
Not always.
There are definitely mornings when I wish I could stay in bed just a little longer.
But if someone asked me whether those early mornings have been worth it, my answer would be yes.
Without hesitation.
Because every early shift has taught me something valuable.
Not only about work.
But also about myself.
And I know those lessons will stay with me long after the alarm clock stops ringing quite so early.
Love, Shavida

Comments
Post a Comment