The Power of Saying No

 



For many years, I found it difficult to say no.

I didn't want to disappoint people.

I wanted everyone to be happy, even if it meant putting my own needs aside.

Looking back, I realize that constantly saying "yes" came at a price.

It often left me feeling exhausted, overwhelmed, and with very little time for myself.

Over time, I learned that saying no doesn't make you selfish.

It makes you honest.

Every time we say yes to something we don't really want to do, we're often saying no to something that truly matters.

Our own time.

Our own health.

Our own dreams.

Learning to set boundaries has been one of the most valuable lessons in my life.

At first, it felt uncomfortable.

I worried about what people would think.

Would they be upset?

Would they understand?

The truth is, the people who genuinely care about you will respect your boundaries.

And if someone doesn't, that says more about them than it does about you.

I've discovered that saying no creates space.

Space to rest.

Space to focus on my goals.

Space to spend time with the people who bring joy into my life.

Most importantly, space to take care of myself.

That doesn't mean I never help others.

I still enjoy being kind, supportive, and generous.

The difference is that I no longer feel guilty for protecting my own peace.

Life is too short to spend all your energy trying to please everyone.

You deserve to choose what feels right for you.

Sometimes, the most powerful word you can say is a simple "no."

Because every healthy "no" is also a meaningful "yes" to yourself.

And that is something worth remembering every single day.

Love, Shavida

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goelong Goelong (Dadar Gulung): Traditional Surinamese Coconut Pancakes

10 Things I Want To Do Before The End Of 2026

If I Ever Became Rich, This Is What I Would Do