My Kitchen Rules: The Simple Rules I Always Follow


Everyone has their own way of cooking.

Some people carefully follow every recipe.

Others prefer to improvise.

Over the years, I've discovered that I have my own kitchen rules.

They're not written down anywhere, but I follow them almost every time I cook.

1. Taste as You Go

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is waiting until the very end to taste your food.

I always taste while I'm cooking.

A little extra salt, a pinch of cumin or a handful of fresh herbs can completely change a dish.

Cooking is all about balance.

2. Fresh Is Usually Better

Whenever I can, I choose fresh ingredients.

Fresh coriander, mint, garlic and vegetables simply give more flavour than processed ingredients.

You can really taste the difference.

3. Don't Be Afraid to Try Something New

Some of my favourite recipes started as an experiment.

Sometimes I mix flavours from different cuisines.

Other times I change a recipe because I don't have all the ingredients at home.

Not every experiment is perfect, but that's how you learn.

4. Cook With Love

I truly believe that people can taste when a meal has been made with care.

I don't rush when I'm cooking.

For me, the kitchen is a place to relax, be creative and enjoy the process.

5. Homemade Is Worth the Effort

Whether it's flatbread, curry or a simple sauce, I enjoy making things myself.

It often tastes better, I know exactly what's in it, and it gives me a real sense of satisfaction.

6. Herbs Are Never Just Decoration

Fresh herbs are one of my favourite ingredients.

Coriander, mint and thyme are always welcome in my kitchen.

They don't just make a dish look beautiful—they add freshness and flavour.

7. Keep Learning

Cooking is something you never stop learning.

Every new recipe teaches me something.

Every mistake makes me a better cook.

That's one of the reasons I still enjoy spending time in the kitchen.

Cooking never becomes boring because there's always another dish to discover.

These simple kitchen rules have become part of who I am.

They remind me that cooking isn't about perfection.

It's about enjoying the process, sharing good food and creating memories around the table.

At the end of the day, that's what makes every meal special.

Love,

Shavida

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goelong Goelong (Dadar Gulung): Traditional Surinamese Coconut Pancakes

10 Things I Want To Do Before The End Of 2026

If I Ever Became Rich, This Is What I Would Do