The Story Behind My Kitchen
For me, it has become one of my favourite places in the house.
It wasn't always like that.
Growing up, cooking was simply part of everyday life.
My mother taught me many things in the kitchen, and over the years I learned the basics of making dough, preparing meals and understanding flavours.
At the time, I didn't realise how valuable those lessons would become.
My passion for cooking really started when I realised something important.
People genuinely enjoyed my food.
The first time someone told me, "You can really cook," something changed.
That was the moment cooking stopped feeling like something I had to do and became something I truly loved.
Today, cooking gives me so much more than just a meal.
It gives me peace.
It allows me to be creative.
And every time I make something delicious, I feel proud.
After a busy day, there is something relaxing about putting on some music, taking fresh ingredients out of the fridge and creating a meal from scratch.
The kitchen has become my little escape.
People often ask me why I enjoy trying so many different recipes.
The answer is simple.
I love food.
Not just eating it, but discovering new flavours, spices and cooking techniques.
I enjoy making Surinamese dishes, but I also love Indian and Moroccan food.
Each cuisine has its own unique flavours, and I love combining ideas from all three.
Do I always experiment?
Not really.
These days, groceries have become quite expensive, so I often prefer following a recipe to avoid wasting ingredients.
Once I know a recipe well, that's when I start adding my own twist.
If someone asked me to cook just one meal for them, I wouldn't have to think twice.
I would make roti.
For me, roti is more than just food.
It's comfort.
It's tradition.
It's one of the dishes that always brings people together.
I've noticed that even people who have never eaten Surinamese-Hindustani food before often fall in love with it after the first bite.
Seeing people enjoy something I have cooked is one of the best feelings in the world.
Looking back, I never expected cooking to become such a big part of my life.
But today, I can't imagine my life without it.
For me, the kitchen isn't just where I prepare meals.
It's where I relax.
It's where I create.
And sometimes...
It's where some of my happiest moments begin.
Love,
Shavida

Comments
Post a Comment